Privacy and Data
This Privacy Statement explains how John Deere and its controlled affiliates Process Personal Data. This Statement also answers specific questions that you may have regarding the privacy and security of collected data. This Statement is addressed to individuals with whom we interact, including visitors or users of our websites, applications (web or mobile), or online products and services; current and prospective customers; management and personnel of corporate customers and vendors; management and personnel of authorized dealerships and distributors; visitors to our facilities, museums, and attractions; and other recipients of our products and services. We refer to individuals whose Personal Data is Processed as 'you' in this Statement.
Personal Data is shared with members of the John Deere Group. A list of members belonging to the John Deere Group is available here and within the Binding Corporate Rules. Members belonging to the John Deere Group may jointly Process Personal Data in certain circumstances.
Country or product-specific privacy supplements may apply to the Processing of Personal Data in relation to specific products or services offered by John Deere that may generally require Processing of additional categories of Personal Data or Processing for different purposes.
John Deere products and services are distributed through a network of authorized dealers and distributors. The majority of these authorized dealers and distributors are independently owned and operated businesses that may have their own privacy statements.
1. Types of Personal Data We Collect
We Process Personal Data about you. This section contains some common examples. Depending on your country/region and Applicable Law, the examples below may be considered Personal Data and/or may be collected from you.
Personal Details and Contact Information
- Name, date of birth, government identifiers, signature, image
- Address, phone number, email address
- Demographic information (such as gender, marital status, household, general location)
- Username, password, social media profile
- GPS location
Transaction and Financial Account Information
- Financial information (such as accountholder, account number, credit/debit card information, financing/leasing information)
- Transaction information (such as purchases, service history, payments, complaints, claims)
- Credit application information (such as assets, liabilities, income, occupation, financial statement information, current and historical account information with us, equipment and the dollar amount being financed, credit information [including credit scores], property reports about any property which secures your obligation to us)
- Insurance information (such as proof of insurance)
Preference and Relationship Information
- Preference and relationship information (such as business type, interests)
- Business role information (such as occupation, job title, contact information, company details, employment history)
- Property, farm or business information
- Language preference
- Information about how you interact with us, authorized dealers and distributors, and business partners
- Details of accounts with us (such as purchases, inquiries, customer accounts, warranty claims history, payment history)
Computer, Device, Online Service, Social Media, and Internet Information
- Activity in our online services (such as username and password used to log in, date/time of visit, search details)
- Device identifier for any device used to access our online services (such as model, serial number, usage tracking)
- Information about pages or content visited on the online services
- Social media profile and comments (including views and opinions), images, and other information you may post on message boards, user forms (including social media) or in response to surveys
- Whether you have opened or read our communications
- Cookies and other tracking technologies (See Cookie Statement)
- Time and duration of use of the online services, error reports, and performance data. Information and data collected include your internet protocol (IP) address and information related to the IP address
- Type and version of your device's operating system or web browser.
- Hardware model and other unique device identifiers; and in some cases, your device's location. This information may be logged when you use the online services
Sensitive or Special Personal Data
- Some of the Personal Data that we may Process in connection with the Purposes in Section 3 may be deemed sensitive or special personal data under Applicable Law. In certain countries/regions, this data may not be collected.
We also collect Machine Data that is generated by, collected by, or stored in products or equipment or any hardware or device interfacing with products or equipment. For more information about how we may use Machine Data, see John Deere Data Services & Subscriptions Statement . Examples could include items such as license, registration, VIN, location hours, diagnostic data, usage information.
2. How We Collect Personal Data
We collect Personal Data from a variety of sources, including:
Information We Collect Directly from You
We collect Personal Data when you interact with us. You may provide Personal Data to us electronically, in writing, or verbally. Common interactions where you provide Personal Data to us include when you:
- Sign up for or purchase services or buy products and equipment
- Register for an account
- Use our online services, including our website
- Sign up to receive a newsletter
- Contact us for customer service purposes or register your warranty
- Apply for financing
- Respond to surveys
From Third Parties:
We receive Personal Data about you from third parties who provide it to us. Third parties include authorized dealerships and distributors, suppliers, insurance providers, your employer, credit reference agencies, and law enforcement or governmental authorities.
If you purchase or lease goods or services on credit, we generally collect Personal Data about you from you, credit bureaus, financial institutions and other creditors, your employer, and publicly available sources, to the extent permitted by Applicable Law. For example, we may collect Personal Data from certain third parties, like your employer to confirm your income details, creditors to confirm your creditworthiness and credit bureaus to obtain a credit report, or we may engage an agent to collect information on our behalf, or we may have existing Personal Data about you on file if you were a previous customer or a guarantor for another of our customers.
We may also collect Personal Data from third party data suppliers, who enhance our files and help us better understand our customers:
- If you purchase any of our products or services through such third parties,
- If you access social media sites, such as Facebook, or if you interact with a social media function on the online services such as a social medial plug-in (a Facebook "like" button),
- If you 'like' our social media pages, or
- If you join our communities
3. How We Use Personal Data (the "Purposes")
We will Process Personal Data where we are satisfied that we have an appropriate legal basis. Common legal bases and purposes for processing Personal Data include the following, unless another legal basis applies under the requirements of country or product specific laws:
Processing to fulfill contractual obligations: We process personal data as required to fulfill our contractual obligations to you. This processing consists of:
- Collecting and using personal data to provide the requested products and services.
- Delivering goods and services that you request
- For related services such as product delivery, maintenance, customer and product support and service (including warranty service), financing, leasing, and credit services; and operation of the online services
- Assessing your creditworthiness, in some countries/regions this is done through the use of automatic decision making
- Servicing and collecting your account, responding to your related inquiries, processing your feedback, and providing you with support
- Providing you with general customer services and to respond to your queries and complaints in relation to our services
- Maintaining your access to related services and applications
- Sending you service communications regarding maintenance, availability, functionality, or other matters
Processing Where You Provide Consent: We process personal data based on your consent, which you may revoke at any time. This processing consists of:
- Sharing Personal Data with our authorized dealers, distributors, and/or merchants so that they can support you when you purchase a product or service or as otherwise agreed between you and your dealer/merchant
- Sharing Personal Data when you purchase or lease goods or services on credit from an authorized dealer or distributor, John Deere Financial Multi-Use Account merchant, or other person, or when you agree to guarantee someone else's obligations under such an arrangement
- Sharing Personal Data with suppliers
- Sharing Personal Data with authorized dealers and distributors for them to contact you with marketing information about John Deere's products and services
- Marketing to you about our products and services, and to identify goods and services which we believe may be of interest to you, including from authorized dealers and distributors, suppliers, and partners. We will contact you for marketing purposes only as you authorize in your marketing preferences
- To administer sweepstakes, contests, loyalty programs, and other promotional events for which you sign-up or enter, such as scheduling and arranging tours of facilities or our attractions or participating in product introductions and other trade shows
- To provide other information that may be of interest, such as announcements, reminders, service outages, product improvement programs, and technical service bulletins; news about John Deere, company magazines (such as The Furrow and Homestead), and catalogs; and invitations to trade shows, product introductions, and other events
Processing to ensure compliance.
- We will Process Personal Data as required by Applicable Law or regulatory requirements that apply to John Deere.
Processing based on our legitimate interest. We may process Personal Data based on our legitimate interest, including as follows:
- To monitor, maintain, and improve our IT environment and the applications that our customers use and that we use to manage our services
- If necessary, we will Process Personal Data for the purposes of preventing or prosecuting criminal activities such as fraud and to assert or defend against legal claims
- We may pseudonymize/anonymize Personal Data to create data sets, which we use for our business purposes, including developing new products and services
- To evaluate your use of our services to assist with our development of new products and services, and to make improvements to our existing products and services
4. Why Personal Data is Disclosed by John Deere
We share Personal Data in the manner and for the purposes described below and in accordance with this Privacy Statement and any transaction specific document, unless we have informed you otherwise or if the Processing is in conflict with Applicable Law:
- With the John Deere Group, where such sharing is helpful to provide you with our services or products or to manage our business
- With other companies to perform specialized or professional functions for us
- With third party service providers (who will operate under our instructions set out in a written agreement with us) to assist us in providing information, products, or services to you, in conducting and managing our business, or in managing and improving our products or services. We share your Personal Data with these third parties to perform services, subject to appropriate contractual restrictions and security measures. These include IT service providers who help manage our IT and back-office systems and machine services, including internet and software services: data hosting, data conversion, and cloud computing capabilities, account management and security, testing, debugging, error reporting, and usage analytics, as well as mobile telecommunication providers
- With regulators and courts, to comply with all Applicable Laws, regulations and rules, and requests of law enforcement, regulatory and other governmental agencies
- With authorized dealers and distributors so that they can support you. They may use your Personal Data in the ways set out in "How We Use Personal Data" in Section 3 above or relating to products and services that complement our own range of products and services. These services may be subject to separate terms and conditions and privacy policies
- With our partners, affiliates, or advertisers, we may share aggregate, statistical, or traffic pattern data so that you have more personalized offerings
- With the online services that may contain plugins or third-party content, such as Facebook (the "like" button), Twitter ("Share to Twitter" button), LinkedIn, or Google. For more information, see our Cookie Statement (Cookie Statement).
- If, in the future, we sell or transfer some or all of our business or assets to a third party, we may share information to a potential or actual third-party purchaser of our business or assets
5. Cookies and Similar Collection Technologies
Technical information that may also constitute personal data (your browser type, operating system, IP address, domain name) may be collected via cookies and other tracking technologies (such as transparent GIF files). Please see our Cookie Statement at the bottom of our homepage for further information.
6. How to Access and Control your Personal Data
You have certain rights in relation to Personal Data, subject to certain exemptions and depending on your country/region, and in some cases dependent upon the Processing activity we are undertaking. If you have these rights in your country/region, such as in the EU/UK, and if you wish to access, correct, update, request deletion, request information, object, request restriction of processing, request data portability, not be subject to decisions based solely on automated processing, or otherwise take action with respect to Personal Data, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided in Section 12 ("How to Contact Us") below.
If we have Processed Personal Data with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any Processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect Processing of Personal Data conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
In certain countries/regions, you have a right to lodge a complaint with your local supervisory authority if you have concerns about how we are Processing Personal Data. We ask that you please attempt to resolve any issues with us first, although you have a right to contact your supervisory authority at any time.
If you have any questions about Personal Data, please contact us using the contact details provided in Section 12 below. We may ask you for additional information to confirm your identity and for security purposes, before disclosing the Personal Data requested by you. In accordance with Applicable Law, we reserve the right to charge a fee where permitted by law, for instance if your request is unfounded or excessive.
Subject to legal and other permissible considerations, we will make every reasonable effort to honor your request promptly or inform you if we require further information in order to fulfill your request. We may not always be able to fully address your request, for example, if it would impact the duty of confidentiality we owe to others, or if we are legally entitled to deal with the request in a different way.
In certain countries/regions you may unsubscribe from receiving marketing and promotional communications from us by unsubscribing at the appropriate link or writing to us at the contact information in Section 12 below. If you receive our email communications, you may also unsubscribe by clicking on the unsubscribe link included in each email. Please note that you may continue to receive transactional and account-related communications from us.
In some cases, the exercise of these rights (for example, erasure, objection, restriction or the withholding or withdrawing of consent to processing) may make it impossible for us to achieve the purposes identified in Section 3 of this Privacy Statement.
7. Information & Data Security
We have implemented and maintain appropriate technical and organizational security measures, policies, and procedures designed to reduce the risk of accidental destruction or loss, or the unauthorized disclosure or access of Personal Data. For further information on our cybersecurity program, please see our latest company Sustainability Report or contact us as outlined in Section 12 below.
8. Data Retention
We will store Personal Data for as long as is necessary for the purposes for which it was collected, as explained in this Privacy Statement or in any transaction specific document. In some circumstances we may store Personal Data for longer periods of time, for instance where we are required to do so in accordance with legal, regulatory, tax, or accounting requirements. In specific circumstances, we may store Personal Data for longer periods of time so that we have an accurate record of your dealings with us in the event of any complaints or challenges, or if we reasonably believe there is a prospect of litigation relating to Personal Data or your dealings. Personal Data is retained in accordance with our record retention schedule and with applicable legal provisions. Subject to our record retention schedule and with applicable legal requirements, we will delete and/or anonymize Personal Data that are no longer needed.
9. Transferring Personal Data Globally
John Deere operates on a global basis. Accordingly, Personal Data may be transferred and stored in countries around the world, including the European Union ("EU"), the United States of America, Brazil, India, and other countries where John Deere has offices, authorized dealers and distributors, or service providers. These locations often have different standards of data protection. Realizing these differences, when we transfer Personal Data to other countries, we will protect that information as described below in this Privacy Statement or as disclosed to you at the time of data collection.
John Deere will take appropriate steps to ensure that transfers of Personal Data are in accordance with Applicable Law and carefully managed to protect your privacy rights and interests. We have established and implemented a set of Binding Corporate Rules ("BCRs") for the EU amongst members of the John Deere Group that have been recognized by EU data protection authorities as providing an adequate level of protection to the Personal Data we process globally. A copy of our BCRs is available here.
In all other countries outside of the EU, when transferring Personal Data between members of the John Deere Group, appropriate measures have been implemented such as standard contractual clauses, certifications, codes of conduct, or other valid data transfer mechanisms. Our internal policies and codes of conduct also require compliance with all applicable privacy laws and regulations.
Where we transfer Personal Data outside of John Deere or to third parties who help provide our products and services, we obtain contractual commitments from them to protect Personal Data. Some of these assurances are well recognized data transfer terms, such as EU Standard Contractual Clauses.
Where we receive requests for information from law enforcement or regulators, we carefully validate these requests before any Personal Data is shared, and then only share Personal Data as appropriate.
You may contact us for more information about our use of service providers and the safeguards we have put in place (including a copy of relevant contractual commitments) to ensure the adequate protection of Personal Data when transferred as mentioned above.
10. Children's Privacy
The John Deere website and applications are not directed to children or adolescents, and we do not knowingly collect any Personal Data directly from children under the age of 18. If you believe that we are processing information pertaining to a child, please contact us using the information provided under the "How to Contact Us" section below so that we may investigate and restrict the data.
11. Changes to this Privacy Statement
From time to time, we may update this Statement to reflect new or different privacy practices. If we make changes, we will revise the "Last Updated" date at the bottom of this Statement.
12. How to Contact Us/Common Controllers
Please contact us if you have any questions or comments about our privacy practices or this Privacy Statement. Our appointed data privacy officers (or similar) are also noted here.
If you reside in:
United States of America or any country not listed below
Attn: Privacy Manager
For more information about California privacy rights, see www.deere.com.
Australia and New Zealand
John Deere Limited (Australia)
New Zealand: 0800-303-100
Chief Privacy Officer
Chief Privacy Officer
European Union or European Economic Area and United Kingdom
Data Privacy Officer EU
John Deere (Pty) Ltd
WIRTGEN GROUP Companies
Personal Data is defined under Applicable Law. It often means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person ("Data Subject"). An identifiable natural person often means one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, etc.
In South Africa and in Argentina, Personal Data of corporate entities is also protected by applicable data privacy laws. When processing such Personal Data in South Africa and in Argentina, we will process it in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
Processing is defined under Applicable Law, including but not limited to actions such as collecting, storing, using, accessing, amending, deleting, destroying, or sharing data.
Machine Data is data generated by, collected by, or stored in your equipment or any hardware or device interfacing with your equipment.
Applicable Law means any relevant and applicable laws, rules, regulations, decrees, statutes, enactments, orders, mandates, and resolutions pertaining to data security, data protection, privacy, and/or the Processing of Personal Data, and which applies to the John Deere Group.
Controller means the natural or legal person, public authority, agency or other body which, alone or jointly with others, determines the purposes and means of the processing of personal data.
The Deere entity with which you have a primary relationship with is the controller of personal data collected from individuals within the scope of this Statement. This entity may vary depending on the situation. It may be the entity that concluded services/supply contract with you or with your employer the entity that has provided you with marketing and promotional materials and communications; the primary entity in the country operating the John Deere website which you visited; the entity that operates the local facilities that you visited, the entity which (co)-organized an event; etc.
When there is more than one entity responsible for the processing, such as: when two Deere entities co-sign a business contract with your company, such entities are jointly responsible for the lawfulness of a specific processing activity ("Joint Controllers").
On some occasions, more than one Deere entity may process your personal data as independent controllers. If you have any questions about controllership, do not hesitate to contact us (see Section 12 for contact information).
Country or Product Specific Information
Additional Privacy Statements
John Deere Asia (Singapore) Private Limited Statement
My John Deere Data Privacy Statement for Europe & Russia
Please see other country websites for additional statements.
John Deere Financial U.S.
- John Deere Financial United States Privacy Statement
John Deere Canada (Including John Deere Financial)
Canadian Privacy Statement
John Deere Data Services & Subscriptions
John Deere Data Services & Subscriptions Data Policy Statement for the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the Republic of South Africa
California Consumer Privacy Statement
Read the California Consumer Privacy Statement >
Mobile Applications Policy
Mobile Application Privacy Statement
Privacy Complaint Form
Click here to complete the form.
Last Updated: November 1, 2021